The Benefits of Walking During Pregnancy
Walking is highly recommended as one of the best forms of exercise during pregnancy. There are many benefits to keeping up with a regular walking routine. I am typically a runner, but I have enjoyed walking throughout my pregnancy and I’m still going strong at 37.5 weeks! For me, one of the best parts of walking has been that it makes me feel great! There are many other benefits too. Below, I put together a compilation of the top benefits of walking during pregnancy.
Disclaimer: You should always talk to your doctor before taking on a new exercise routine during pregnancy.
- Healthy baby – walking helps to keep both mom and baby’s weight at a healthy level. With the baby’s weight in check, this can make the delivery more easy and natural. It also makes it easier for mom to lose the baby weight after baby arrives.
- Lower risk of Pre-Eclampsia & Gestational Diabetes – Walking helps to keep your blood pressure and cholesterol at a healthy level, therefore reducing your risk of developing pre-eclampsia and gestational diabetes.
- Stress Reliever – This is a big one for me! Pregnancy can be very stressful! Walking helps to relieve stress, anxiety, depression and mood swings because it releases endorphins (the feel good chemicals) into your body.
- Bonding with significant other – This has been another huge benefit for me! My husband has been joining me for almost all of my walks, and it has been a great way to unwind together, bond, and talk about our new lives with the baby. If your significant other likes to walk, bring them along so that they can enjoy the benefits of walking too!
- Relieves aches and pains – There are lots of different aches and pains that happen during pregnancy. I have had my fair share! Walking helps to loosen your joints, ease your muscles, and relieve some of the pain you may be experiencing. For me, this has mainly been hip pain. I have noticed that if I go a few days without walking, my aches will be much more noticeable.
- Easier childbirth – So many people have told me this throughout my pregnancy, and I did a little research and it looks like it is true! Walking increases flexibility and tones the hip muscles which can make for an easier/faster delivery. When you are in good shape, your body is more prepared for childbirth. I am hoping and praying that this is true! I’ll let you know in a few weeks! 🙂
Something that is very important while walking during pregnancy is to listen to your body. If you need to slow down, slow down. If you need to take a break, stop and rest. During pregnancy, the point isn’t to push yourself too hard, so be sure not to wear yourself out. Also, don’t compare yourself to others. Everyone’s journey is different and it’s important to remember to make decisions that are best for you and your baby.